Strength from the LORD

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Awards

Today I had the pleasure of attending my son Matthew's first grade award ceremony.  The class has an award ceremony at the end of each nine weeks.  The ceremony and awards, seem to help the children stay on task throughout the long year.  This was the first award ceremony I was able to attend for this school year.  I went early to have lunch with Matthew.  I hadn't told him I was coming and so he was very surprised when I walked into the cafeteria behind his class.  Matthew is so sweet, he excused himself from the line and went to the end so he could walk through with me.  After he chose steak fingers, milk, and apple juice for lunch we went and sat with his class.  They are a very energetic group of children.  All of the children were excited about the award ceremony and several were worried about when their parents would get there.  I didn't see too much being eating, but I did see quite a bit of bouncing, laughing, and playing.  After lunch they had a bathroom break and then went to class to prepare for the award ceremony.  I waited in the hall so Mrs. Conlee could get the children to focus on what needed to be completed.  Several parents were able to attend, but due to the time many could not.  My heart went out to those little ones whose parents couldn't make it.  Matthew received several awards; one for academic achievement, one for citizenship, and one for being on time for the nine weeks.  The whole ceremony was about thirty minutes.  Each of the children received at least one award, many had more.  Everyone clapped and cheered for their friends and themselves.  After it was over Matthew walked me to his door and gave me a big hug and kiss.  I definitely made his day by being there.  It is not always easy, but many times, he receives such happiness and pleasure when Kevin and I arrange time to participate with him at school or other activities.  Matthew is such a sweet boy, he has a generous and loving spirit as well.  I call him my miracle baby.  When I was five weeks pregnant with him, I started bleeding and passing large clots.  It was the same situation I had several years before and I lost the baby.  It was after office hours and my OB/GYN sent me to the ER.  I had called Kevin at work basically in despair and fear.  He came home right away, which is hard when you are a nurse.  You have to have someone take care of your patient assignment.  We went to the ER and the doctor on call ordered a ultrasound.  It was a relief and miracle that Matthew's little heart was beating and strong.  I had prayed and cried out to God.  I just kept asking Him to keep this baby safe and God did!  I stopped bleeding while in the ER.  At five weeks there is not really anything the doctors can do, so I was placed on bedrest at home and told to call my doctor on Monday for follow up.  The ER had drawn blood, but they had to wait on results for some and would let my doctor and myself know.  My progesterone level was low and with replacement progesterone for 12 weeks, I was able to carry Matthew to term.  When he was born, I felt and feel to this day, that he was and is a miracle.  He has brought joy and happiness to me and our family.  He has a wonderful sense of humor and likes to share with all those around him.  He grows so much daily and at times I want to take him back to those days when he would lay in my arms and just look at me.  He still likes to be with me and look at me, but he is grwoing up much faster than I would like.  Children are such blessings, and we have them for such a short time.  I wish I knew how to draw the time out, he will be off to college before I know it:)   

No comments:

Post a Comment