Strength from the LORD

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving and Birthdays

      This week has been a busy and full week.  Since this week is about Thanksgiving, I want to share some thoughts.  Every year, I have a list of "things" I would like to accomplish and this year has not been any different.  Well. I can't say different, but I did have a list I wanted to accomplish.  What is different about this year, is that I am learning I don't have to finish the list.  I am basically an over-achiever or type A personality (to the extreme, Kevin would say).  I have struggled with perfection for many years and I haven't won.  This year, I feel that I am finally learning, it's okay not to be perfect.  This year I am thankful that God is teaching me this lesson.  I am not perfect and can never be perfect; God loves me in spite of my imperfections.  He is working a perfect work in me.  I am truly blessed.  I am able to worship my God without fear of persecution, I am able to openly share my faith through freedom of speech.  I am thankful for my wonderful husband (I need to tell him more often) and my children.  I am thankful for my job and the fact that I enjoy it so much.  I am thankful for the home I live in and the "things" that make my life comfortable.  God has blessed me with so much.  Every dream and desire that I have had, He has eventually given me.  So much more than I deserve!!!  Thank you God for all you have blessed me with, thank you for sending your Son to take my place.  I wish that I remembered all of my blessings, when I start to complain or feel that I "need" something.  This year I looked around and decided I needed to share my blessings.  There are some items that are precious to me and I decided I wanted to share them.  I am also looking outside of my home and comfort zone.  I feel I need to share my time and myself as well.  I am praying I find where I need to spend my time, there are many places that need help and I want to be where I can be of the most help.
      Back to the list.  Every year on my list is organize the house.  This is probably not possible, but I try to anyway.  There were repairs to the house on there (always some every year) and down-sizing what we could.  I have organized most of the rooms:)  They are not perfect, but things are straight and additional "things" removed where possible.  I will not finish this year, but might next (ha ha).  I have been sending some of blessings to friends and family as well.  I am going to donate some items to places that have a real need and of course give some to Goodwill.  The home repairs that really needed to be completed are and a few extra were thrown in (able to mark them off of my list).  Finally, I am to the downsizing of things.  I thought this would be painful, but it really has not.  I enjoy what I have and like all the "things" in life that make it easier, but I am okay without all of them.  It honestly took years to get to this point.  I used to feel that "things or stuff" would make me happy, but they really don't.  Happiness can't be bought.  You have to work at it, just like marriage and friendships.  It isn't always a feeling either, it is a state of mind.  Wish I had known some of this when I was younger, would have saved myself a lot of discomfort.  God is so gracious, He makes the learning bearable. 
      Today is my best friend, Rosa's, BIRTHDAY.  She is turning 21 again (she has been 21 for several years now).  We were going to take her to Fiesta Texas, and we actually drove there only to find out it does not open UNTIL 4pm!!!  Blew that.  So we took her out to lunch and gave her several tickets so she and Summer (her daughter) can go and have fun.  I don't get to spend enough time with her, since we are both in school, so it was fun to just sit and visit.  She is another blessing in my life. 
      Well, we are going to church this evening as family; Kevin often has to work on Sundays, so we don't get to go together often.  After church we are going to stop by Fiesta Texas for a while and then home to bed.  Tomorrow we will finish some chores, start wrapping presents, and I have to study for a final exam in Pharmacology.  Almost through with the semester-yeah:)  God Bless.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment