Strength from the LORD

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?

Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Break

Well, it is finally time for spring break.  I am more than ready for spring in general.  The weather has been pleasant and it seems that the severe temperature extremes have stopped.... for now anyways.  This past week was very enjoyable.  Our oldest son, Kevin Jr, came down to visit for several days.  We had a nice time and he was able to spend time with most of his siblings and "adopted" siblings.  We had a cookout Wednesday night and the house was full of laughter, good smells, and delicious food.  It was difficult to get the little boys to bed, they were so excited to have all their brothers with them for the evening.  Their excitement might have something to do with their sugar intake as well.  Kevin made a coca cola cake which is loaded with sugar for dessert. 
Alas all good things eventually come to an end.  Kevin Jr left yesterday to go back to Princeton, we probably won't get to see him again until summer.  Each time he leaves, it seems to get harder for me.  I was ready for when he left for college.  I knew and understood that this was the phase of life he was moving into.  I know that this is what he is suppose to be doing and I am happy for him, but I do miss him.  At times it is hard to remember him as a baby or little boy.  He has grown into a wonderful young man.  He is more than I could ever ask for.  I guess maybe I have learned to enjoy each moment we have with our children, they grow up so fast. 
With our younger boys, I am trying not to make the same mistakes I made with Kevin Jr.  I hope I am doing better.  I feel Kevin Jr is who he is in spite of me and my mistakes and I thank God for that.  Kevin Jr is terrific with his younger siblings.  I don't know to many 25 year old's, who make time to play hide and seek, as well as tag, with their younger siblings.  He also tries to teach them new things when he is here and makes sure he reinforces school to them.  Kevin Jr has a passion for math and science, I find it wonderful that he shares that with his siblings and helps them cultivate their area of interests too.  I am very proud of him.  He will graduate with his PhD in Mathematics next May.  He plans to continue his studies post-doctoral and teach.  I keep waiting for him to invent a new number;)
This coming week, the younger children and I will be going to help my mother pack and move into an apartment.  She has finally sold her house and she is ready.  Having a house is a big responsibility and she is ready to simplify.  Her plan is to move to San Antonio at the end of the year.  The boys are so excited.  They miss her and want her to be here all of the time.  It will be nice to be able to spend more time with my mom and be available if she needs me.  It is hard for me at times to acknowleged the she is not indestructible.  I still see her as I did as a child, tall and strong.  She does not look her age and she is still tall and strong, but I can see somethings are not as easy for her as they used to be.  I don't want to see any changes, she is my mom and I want her to stay the same.  I wonder if my children feel the same way sometimes.  I guess as I have gotten older the thought that she might not be there one day creeps closer.  I want to make sure I don't miss opportunities to be with her and savor the love that comes from only a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment